Space demand, mechanics and weight:
• Space: The diameter of the swept area is 5.2 m, corresponding to a circular surface of 21.2 m². In a square, the surface is 27 m². The total height of the station mirrors is 2 m, of the mast 2.5m.
• Ring profile: The ring profile on which the station is turning has a diameter of 2.3 m (outer point to outer point.) It is made of alu. For special conditions, it can have a substructure for better spreading the load.
• Main frame: Triangular structure on three wheel groups.
• Other metal parts: Mainly anodized aluminum profiles. Exceptionally hot-dip-galvanized steel parts.
• Torque tube: 2 torque tubes attached to the elevation drive made out of 6082 alu and positioned in the center of the mirror at a height of 1.2 m above the bottom of the ring profile.
• Mirrors: The mirrors of the station have a height of 1.62 m and a width of 2 times 2 m, with a 25 cm gap in between. They consist of thin (1 mm) glass mirrors, glued on a sandwich structure. They reach more than 95 % reflectivity. Concentration factor >= 40 suns.
Warning – avoid concentrated radiation in eyes, on the skin or clothes!
• Weight: The total weight of the station Model White is below 400 kg.
• pvplus: In the front of the mirrors are 3 PV modules with a size of approx. 1.6 m height and 1 m width and +/- 5 cm flexible mounting positions. They are fixed at an angle of 10° to the ground and tracking the sun together with the station from East to West. The weight of the support structure of the modules is up to 50 kg, the weight of typical modules is altogether 54 kg. For details of the modules see their data sheet.
Tracking: Two-axis in Azimuth and Elevation:
Azimuth tracking from East to West 450° rotation angle; planetary gear drive with tooth belt. Elevation drive with planetary and worm gears.
• Customized and highly integrated control system with two independent motor controllers.
• Redundant safety system regarding wind speeds, fluid and receiver temperature and pressure.
• Integrated uninterrupted power supply system for closing the station during main grid failure.
• Local or central weather station equipped with at least the following sensors:
• Anemometer and
• Radiation sensor and
• Ambient temperature sensor.
• Integrated inclination sensor and radiation sensors improve the tracking and allow an auto-commissioning of the station.
• Optionally, a camera and additional weather sensors are available on request.
• WLAN 802.11 b/g/n/ac (2.4 + 5.0 GHz)
• Bluetooth 4.2 (only for service)
• Optionally, LAN via RJ45 Connector with 10/100/1000 MBit
• Heat transfer medium in areas without freezing temperatures: De-mineralized water. In other areas: solar fluid, i.e. water with corrosion protection additives. Standard version max. temperature of working fluid: 110°C.
• System pressure: min. 3 bar (2 bar gauge pressure) and max. 7 bar (6 bar gauge pressure).
• Flow Rate: Minimum flow of 200 l/h, at full radiation 550 l/h, maximum flow 1.500 l/h.
• Pressure loss: ≤ 0.3 bar at 550 l/h.
Warning – the high fluid temperature can cause burning hazards!
Station pvplus – PV modules:
The station can carry 3 modules with a size of approx. 1 m x 1.6 m each. See separate datasheet of the PV modules.
Pipes for fluid should be installed to the ring profile. Pipes on the station are stainless steel pipes. Therefore, stainless steel is preferred for connecting pipes. The pipes should
have a minimum inner diameter of 25 mm (1 inch) – preferably larger for long runs.
• Operational temperatures: – 30°C to + 45°C.
• Survival temperatures: -40°C to +60°C.
• Air humidity: 0-100 %, condensing.
• Wind: normal operation up to 55 km/h. Survival in safety position with normal turbulence up to 150 km/h.
• Snow: German load zone 2 up to 600 m (city of Freiburg).
PV Inverter System:
• ABB UNO DM 3.3 TL PLUS SB with integrated DC Disconnect Switch.
• Max. efficiency: 97 %.
• Grid connection type: AC Single Phase (L / N / PE).
• Rated AC voltage: 230 V.
• Rated output frequency: 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
• Anti-islanding protection: According to local standards.
Junction box with clamp terminals for the grid connection cable (max. wire size 2.5 mm²). Recommended external AC overcurrent protection: 16 A.